All times are UTC + 1 hour

Report Writer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:52 pm 
Regular

Hello All,
after Looking at the atk generator made by jgarifuna,i want to suggest that a new project be started to build a report writer for that atk framework. I think with some modifications the generator can be made to do that

Re: Report Writer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:04 am 

hey well i am interested to write report of atk generator. i am know some techniques and information about atk generator & expert in reports writing.
thank you its will be great opportunity for me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:42 am 
Regular

great Jacobee!
I think that you should consult with jgarifuna
I'm sure it will be faster to write atkgenerator report

http://visioinformatika.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:53 pm 
Regular

Excellent idea sphinix! Can you describe your "report generator" in more detail? Is it a general-purpose to be used in an ATK-based application, or a complete stand-alone application? Who would be its primary users? What are its basic features? What will the report generator not do (at least not initially, as part of a "minimum viable product")?

Personally, I would really like to have a report writer module for Achievo that would enable end-users to create their own reports and share them with other users on the same Achievo system (if not from scratch, then at least by editing a similiar report created by the site developer/configurator/administrator). Would the report generator you have envisioned support this type of use?

As for the development project, would you be the lead developer? Assuming you would be, I suggest you create a simple ATK app as a scaffold for testing and demonstrating the report generator module, and host the two together in a personal public GitHub repo, including an SQL dump for a demo database. Once the project is on GitHub, let us know and tell us what you want help with (I can help with the repo if you wish), and hopefully you will get forks and pull requests. Eventually, the report generator could be hosted as an ATK Add-On module in the atkphpframework group on GitHub, or possibly even included in a future release of ATK.

sphinix wrote:
I think with some modifications the generator can be made to do that

sphinix, what code specifically were you referring to (for modifying)?

I hope jgarifuna (Jorge) will help (Jorge, are you out there?), at least by offering suggestions based on his experience and clarifying the license for the code he has provided to the forum and for QWAB-Lite. I'm sure some of you will think I am being too picky, but ATK users and stakeholders need to be assured they have a legal right to the code if the ATK Framework is to become truly significant. The ATK Forum doesn't seem to state a license that submitted code will be considered provided under, Jorge's product page (http://garisoft.com/qwab/product.php) doesn't list license information, and his QWAB-Lite distribution doesn't include an (obvious) license statement. This all implies that a derived work could not be created and distributed under an open source license - unless Jorge re-licenses the code first to allow it. However, we must be respectful of Jorge and sympathetic to the amount of work that he has invested into QWAB as a commercial product, and his intentions for it.

Jorge,
  • would you give permission to use the code you posted in the forum according to the terms of the LGPL v3 (same as ATK) or GPL v2 (same as Achievo)?
  • would you consider an open-core model for QWAB and license QWAB-Lite under either the LGPL v3 or GPL v2 (with premium versions provided under a proprietary license)?

Depending on Jorge's answer, the new report writer would have to be either started from scratch (but based on concepts in Jorge's posts and QWAB-Lite), or could be a derived work based on a) the code Jorge posted to the forum or b) QWAB-Lite.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:56 pm 
Regular

I was thinking more along the lines of something that could be integerated into the ATK framework.
I am currently using one i stripped from Phreebooks http://www.phreesoft.com. its a little messy but it works.