From Achievo/ATK Wiki
Posted by "jamiet" on the Achievo/ATK Forum:
"Most of this guide was a straight copy and paste from the ATK website and the install file which comes with the download.
I thought it would be handy to consolidate these two sources to the wiki and include some additional info."
- A webserver such as Apache (preferred) or IIS.
- PHP running as a module for the webserver. ATK 6 needs minimal PHP Version 5.1.3 to run.
- A database server (currently only MySQL, PostGreSQL and Oracle are supported by the DB abstraction layer).
To get an all in one package with all of the above installed in one go fire up your preferred search engine and type WAMP.
This should give you a list of Windows, Apache, MySQL, PHP combined installation programs, most of them are free (as in free beer).
You may already have all of the above installed (dependent on your distribution installation options). Load up you distributions package manager and search for each of the packages (to see if installed else search available packages to install). Install each of them (including any dependencies) and follow any distribution specific instructions.
In both cases the default configuration should work although you may need to do some configuration work on users etc. for the database server.
Once you have installed all of the above and if you chose MySQL as the database then consider getting and installing PHPMyAdmin. This is a PHP based database manager application for MySQL that is a lot easier to use for database management. It usually comes as standard in a lot of the WAMP packages and with most distributions of Linux.
Now you are ready to install. If this is your first time looking at ATK then install with the demo application. This will give you a chance of seeing how the framework performs with a real application. Once proficient you may want to install just the framework. Instructions for both are below:
Installing with Demo Application
The current version of the demo contains 5 lessons to get you started and show you some of the features of ATK. More lessons will be added soon. Be sure to check back here periodically to download new lessons.
The demo application, which includes the full ATK distribution, can be downloaded here.
The instructions to get the demo running can be found in the doc/ subdirectory, in the INSTALL file and below:
1. Install this demo somewhere into the document root of your PHP-enabled webserver.
2. If you are using a linux server, run ./setup.sh with the username of the webserver as parameter. This will make certain files writable by the webserver. If your webserver is running as user 'www', run the script like this:
If the script fails, you may not be allowed to chown the files in the atktmp directory. In this case, you may have to run the setup.sh script as root.
2. Install the install.sql file from the main directory, into a mysql database. (oracle demo structure will be added soon)
3. Enter the username/password for this database into the config.inc.php file. Leave all other config options to their default at first. When you viewed the demo, and want to experiment, you can change the settings, but first try to get a running demo.
4. Browse the directory where you installed the demo with a webbrowser. You can login using 'administrator' as username and 'demo' as password.
Installing without Demo Application (Just the library)
If you only want to download the ATK library, without the demo application, you can click here.
Instructions to start your app based on ATK:
mkdir myapp cp atk-5.1.0.tar.gz myapp tar xzvf atk-5.1.0.tar.gz ln -s atk-5.1.0 atk cp -a atk/skel/* .
This copies a skeleton to your app dir. You can base your application on the skeleton, by adding modules to the modules/ subdir of your application.
Note that if you plan to use MySQL, you should also install the init_mysql.sql file into your database. This installs the table where ATK will retrieve its values for auto-incremented database columns. (for PostgreSQL and Oracle, this is not necessary as these database support the use of sequences natively)
Make use of the 'view source' links throughout the demo to find out how the features you see are accomplished.
If you have any questions, use the forums at www.achievo.org/forum.
Check http://www.achievo.org/atk/download on a regular basis. More lessons will continually be added to the demo. You can post requests for lessons on specific features to the forum.